Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Got vote?

"Hello, you've reached Election Official Lindsey. If you'd like to bring me coffee or tea, I am located on the top floor of the Pitt Meadows Rec Hall. And if you leave me a message I'll get back to you sometime after 9 tonight. Happy voting all!"

Yesterday was the provincial general election and referendum for electoral reform and if you phoned me you would have heard a message much like that because I was working it. And someone actually did bring me coffee!!! More specifically, a chai latte, which was just so amazing! So an incredibly big THANK YOU goes out to my friend Lindsay who brought it to me (just so happens that I was stationed at her voting poll:). I tell you, when you get there at 7:30am, can't leave the building, can't have the cell phone on, have to get someone to watch your polling station with your partner when you have to go to the bathroom becaused you've consumed over 2 litres of water throughout the day, and are there until at least 9pm, the smiling face of a friend armed with a chai latte-even extra hot, the way you like it-is definately an oasis of so much goodness in a sea of desolate folded ballots, pencils on strings, and a 17 year old partner named Jon who cannot manage to speak loud enough to the older people.

I remember the first time I got to vote. I've never been super passionate about politics, just not my bag. And for those of you that were there during that recent Personal Preference game in which I was at the center of that nasty "George Bush" incident, I have to say, that might have done in my passion for politics. Informed, ok. Passionate, no. But I am passionate about voting. Back to my premier voting experience. I thought there'd be more glamor involved. I'm not talking a red carpet and a booming voice anouncing that I was the next voter and to "come on down". Blame the movies or TV in which I saw people in those American-esque voting stations that were full of red, white, and blue ribbons, and those polling booths with blue velvet curtains that came down about knee level. When I entered the polling station of my riding for the first time it was a bit of a shocker, let me tell you. I never expected that I'd be casting my vote with a pencil on a string, behind the super secret cardboard "booth" emblazoned with "Elections BC". But for whatever it's worth I continue to vote. Not because I necessarily believe my one vote will make a difference...I live in Canada, not Florida. But because I can (I'm young and female...thank God I live in Canada!) and because God has placed these rulers over us and we need to take some responsibility in doing our part. Got vote?

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB!!!
DINOSAUR CELL PHONES!!! I WANT ONE!

12:52 a.m., May 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home