Thursday, September 22, 2005

Who was that caped server?!

There's a plethora of new phrases in my vocabulary that are now entirely over-used. They comprise my Lexicon of Serving. These include such classics as "Can I start you guys off with something to drink?" and "Do you need a few more minutes with the menu?". Oh, and don't forget "How's your (insert whatever your guest ordered here) tasting?". There are some other less classic phrases, but they're really situational, so you might hear them in a story or something of the like. I've worked between 9 and 10 hours days Sunday to Wednesday at Boston Pizza. This isn't including the hours I've worked at my other-and more important-job and the fact that I'm still managing to have a life.

I feel a little like Super Woman, only my life isn't a cartoon...although a cape would be pretty cool. I could make really dramatic entrances and exits. People in my path would cry out "Who was that caped server?!". I bet that's where the big tips are...servers with capes. Tonight was exceptional for tips. I didn't have a cape but at one point I jokingly pretended to hit a guest over the head with my tray and later warned him that I'd have to take away his knife and he, his pregnant wife, and the other couple they were with really liked that. They were a lot of fun.

For the most part my co-workers are decent too. Except for the 1 that has quit and the 2 that have been fired. There are a handfull of co-workers that when I know we're working together, I know good times are to be had, and there's at least one on every shift I work so I've had a lot of good times so far. Don't get me wrong: there are some crabby guests out there, we've all seen them. Like that table of 8 I had Sunday night when nothing I did could please them. Some people just come in crazy-grouchy at the world and there's not a whole lot that can be done about that. I try my hardest to show them some kindness and grace and-trust me-it's never easy. But most of the time, after I serve them, I like to think that maybe they're a little less crazy-grouchy at the world and it's because I've extended just a small portion of the kindness and grace that's been undeservedly extended to me. I mean, how often do people leave an establishment and say "Man, that server was just way too nice!" Friends, the answer is: not often. But during the crazy-grouchy-at-world-folks it's the co-workers that can lend a little sanity to the situation because we all know that guest could be the next one sat in our section.

If you're looking for pizza, pasta, or something inbetween, my name is Lindsey and I'll be your server tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home