Thursday, October 13, 2005

Turn, turn, we almost become dizzy

There are few things in life that make me truly angry. At the top of my list is apathy and general disregard, mistreatment, and injustice towards the marginalized of society-not just North American society, but the societies of the world as a global community. Somewhere in the middle of the list fall my pet peaves like people touching my stomach and loudly and grossly chewing on their nails. And it's somewhere in the area around pet peaves that technology and magic are found.

They don't actually make me angry, per se, but they can make me frustrated. They frustrate me because I don't know how either work. Sure, I made a circuit of blinking LED's that I later installed into a teddy bear and got 99% in Tech 8. Sure, I like being given flowers and if they're pulled from a hat, so be it. But in the past week and a half I've been in the Coquitlam Best Buy 3 times and all 3 times I walked out of there with the same look on my face: glazed over eyes, dazed and confused face, mixed with a dash of terror, shaken-not stirred.

On my first visit, within the first 5 minutes, I had already instructed my brave male companion to "just lead me around, this is a little too much, I'll just follow you". Another few minutes had gone by when I swear the store had started to get smaller and that's when my eyes glazed over and I became numb to the experience.

My second visit was even more terrifying because the brave male companion I was accompanying this time actually engaged in a conversation with the crazy guy from car stereos. As I sipped the comfort from the cup of my grande, non-fat, extra-hot, maple machiatto I caught wisps of conversation that sent me into an internal tailspin. I heard "3-way" this and "sub-in" that. I took it as my cue to nonchalantly move from standing beside my friend to standing sort of behind him at such an angle that I was sure I had completely removed myself from the salesman's field of vision and was, thus, temporarily non-existent. If I was a super hero I would have the power of becoming invisible when I wanted to be. But I digress...

The last trip I took there I braved the scary store by myself. I was looking for a particular DVD and CD. I found the DVD section but was temporarily thrown off track because I wanted something reliable and easy, like the alphabet, but first encountered confusing categories instead. Then I needed a CD. Challenging, but I managed. Then I treated myself to a CD (Dave Matthews Band, Recently) for being so brave, as if I had coerced myself into the store and was now receiving a reward for being so courageous. I'm a bit of a techno-phob, but I'm willing to try.

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd Bee said...

woah you did a lot within a small timespan...i'm trying to keep up now.

2:41 p.m., October 19, 2005  
Blogger Todd Bee said...

sorry to do that to you...the solo best buy thing

2:41 p.m., October 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home