Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Cookoothama

This past weekend I needed to visit the grass on the other side of the fence because I was nearing my breaking point and all it took was for Heather to mention the island and I headed there. Saturday, I hopped onto the 5 o'clock ferry to Departure Bay and whelst I rode the ferry I had a seat with a coffee and read my book, which was mostly a disguise for people-watching as I made up a life story for everyone I saw.

The next day we headed to Chemainus (aka Chemainmain, as one dear friend informed me she calls it). Let me say that high tea is just about as good as it gets. More so even than "good times and noodle salad". So good, infact, that I believe God must do it at least twice a day even on a busy day. Finger sandwiches, scones and heavy cream, dessert, and 2 pots of tea can't be beat. Especially after you've been wandering around the city and your friend has blisters and shin splints. We took pictures with the Chemainus sign after. If you go there, don't get too excited as you approach the signage. By order of the Rotary Club, you can't climb on the sign which significantly decreases all the good picture ideas you have. But still worth going to Chemainmain.

As we headed back towards the ferry we saw a wine route sign and decided to follow it. Word of warning: check these sort of things out. Eventually we came upon a pile of brush on fire that was positioned under some larger, bare trees, along with a '"Leaving Nanaimo City Limits" sign and a man tending the fire while sitting on a propane cylinder. Then we arrived at Chateau Wolff. Somewhat abandoned looking, creepyist winery ever, and gates closed. And when I say gates, I mean a tall chainlink fence on wheels. We promptly pulled a u-turn.

We headed for a beach to play guitar on and this is the story of "How Heather Made Lindsey Bleed". My guitar was in a soft case and Heather grabbed that out. She then tried to get her guitar-in a hard case-out but somehow it got wedged in all crazy like. Heather then proclaimed "And this is the story of How Heather's Guitar Got Stuck in Lindsey's Car"" and I replied "Forever!". Then Heather said "Hey Linds, catch!" and proceeded to push her guitar case towards me. At that moment, Heather had a freak physical reaction to the ocean air and turned into the Hulk. Good thing I stopped the guitar case with my face or that could have turned out badly. My lower lip was bleeding-as it's apt to do when your tooth cuts it-and Heather was laughing so hard she was having trouble breathing. We played guitar on the beach until it was so cold that we couldn't feel our fingers and by that time the gash in my lip had started to clot and we were on our way.

It was 4:30ish and we had to wait for the 7 o'clock ferry. I intentionally started an arguement with Heather about rolling her window down. Or up. I can't remember, I was delirious with boredom. Then we finally got to pay. I almost ran a ferry man down. Twice, but neither time on purpose.

All in all, it was a fantastic time and I'd do it all over again this weekend if I had the chance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what, praytell, is 'cookootomba', oh Lindsey, wisest and hottest of all quarter-centurians?

inquiring minds desire to know.

3:22 p.m., February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home