Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Slashed Tops & Birth Control

Monday came and, with it, the third break-in to my car in just as many months. Only this time they slashed my top some. And laid everything out very neatly over my front seats and driverside floor...creepy and violating. And my friend Lindsay's car also got broken into, same time, same place. We were at Bible study and God was speaking to me about peace. For those of you there, yes, I was in rough shape (a less-than-stellar weekend-and, really, 2 weeks- all around, this was just the last straw) but if had not been for all the amazing people I know I'm not sure how it would have all played out. I owe many thanks to many people for that night. Thank you for your care and kindness.

Today I might have experienced the most potent form of birth control: 4 children, ages 9, 6, 4, and 18 months. I know these children well. I love them dearly. Today we found ourselves in Burnaby and, while their mom was at an appointment, I looked after them. I've looked after them myself a couple times before, but never like this. I took them to McDonald's to take advantage of the play area because, hey, I'm resourceful like that. After we grabbed some orange juice we headed back to pick-up their mom. Then we all headed to the center of North American consumerism via Sweden: Ikea. I bought a couple of things, snagged a couple of good deals. And, to my shock and amazement, I would like to let you all know that you can feed 2 adults and 4 children at Ikea for $8. Those Swede's know how to do it up!

Then came our undoing...Chapter's. Again, a few good books, a few good deals (Homer's Illiad and Odessey and The DaVinci Code). By this time the kids are getting tired but we're waiting to pick up their dad from work. Our excursion there ended with the mom making a mad dash to buy our books and get us coffee and me pushing a stroller containing a screaming toddler followed by one screaming child, one whining child, and the final child out to the van. After buckling up 2 carseats I waited outside the van because, hey, I did nothing wrong so I shouldn't have to wait with the contained screaming and crying children. That resulted in 2 people approaching me to ask if I needed help and me explaining that I was waiting for their mom. I think that a similar experience to this would be a great form of birth control for, well, anyone.

There are quite a few things from this past weekend that I'm still thinking over and assimilating, but for now I've soothed my tired, fed-up self with sushi and Garden State and now I'm off to knit. After all, what else would you expect from a purveyor of the unique?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

What else would you expect? Nothing else I say. that is Unique. and Awesome. I am sorry to hear about your car. that is not so unique or awesome. it sucks. And wow...four whiny children. Your teaching of knitting to Heather has been brought up as a topic of conversation by myself to the younguns in Vic, and I now have a knitting buddy. And we are going to take belly dancing lessons taught by Jordan's sister. good times.

10:16 p.m., April 15, 2006  
Blogger Kirstin said...

Hey Lindsey... check me out

6:40 p.m., April 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home