Monday, August 14, 2006

Weddings: Closed for the season

First, there was Sean and Elina's wedding on July 15th. I was super excited for my friends and I had the honour of singing with a couple of friends during the ceremony. During the reception, at The Bedford House, Mike was interrogated by a couple of old friends of mine. It actually stressed me out something fierce but I knew they were only doing it because they care. But that didn't stop me from making a bathroom trip only at the last possible moment. We also got to go on a wine tour at Domain du Chaberton so now we are educated in the ways of properly drinking and examining wine. They have some good stuff there kids.

We followed that wedding up the very next weekend, July 22nd, with Shannon (Mike's cousin) and J.P.'s wedding. A lot of people came up to me with the opening line of "You must be Lindsey! Hi, I'm Aunty (insert various names here). Good to meet you!" Ok, so there were only 3 aunts but there were other cousins and family friends and spare relatives. It was a fun wedding and everything was beautiful. The receiving line was an adventure. Mike was the first one through and, without really realizing it, he had power-walked his way down the line which had left me running behind him in heals, trying to keep up. I shook hands and offered congratulations to the bride and groom and the bride's mom (an Aunt moment). And then I literally waved and said 'hi' to the rest of the bridal party, all on account of trying to catch up to Mike. The MC at their reception(at the Croation Cultural Center) was quite a guy. Mike and named him Gary, rotund Gary with the Coke-bottle glasses who said inappropriate things but never realized it. His most famous line was as he was going to start the night up (fyi: this wedding was open bar) he said "Now that we've had the chance to lubricate for this special event..." and then I checked out and tried not to laugh too loud. Oh Gary.

Then, wrapping wedding season up, we had Amanda and Jason's wedding this past weekend, August 12th. They had asked Mike and I to set up their reception at Cenntenial Lodge in Queen's Park, seeing as how sometimes I like to pretend I'm Martha and Mike is a hard-worker. So after we stopped by the bride's head-quarters to pick up supplies we made it to the lodge around 10:20am. Then the man who opened the lodge for us talked our ear off for a good 15-25 minutes, playing 20 questions. Then we unloaded everything and set up for an hour and a half. Then we stopped for a quick lunch because, although I don't remember chewing, driving stick and eating is never a good idea. Dropped Mike off at 1, got to my house at 1:10, threw on clothes and left, picked Mike up at 1:25, got to the church at 1:32 (the ceremony was scheduled for 1:30), and breathed a small sigh of relief as it started late. It was a fantastic ceremony. Very them and very awesome. After the ceremony was over we cut in the receiving line to say congrats to the new couple and then drove to the bride's HQ to load up again. Managed to stop at Starbucks as I was in great need of a coffee. Got to the lodge again to work like a couple of rabid marmots and set things up and it was all done in time. We even had a few spare moments to cool off on the deck while people arrived and before I tracked down my own personal corkscrew and uncorked 22 bottles of wine in under 5 minutes, while someone lit candles and someone else haded out bubbles. Whew! The reception was a blast and later Mike impressed everyone with his dancing skills. Amanda impressed everyone with her hot hot hot skills. Heather was a bridesmaid and impressed everone with her singing skills (of course) and her own hot skills. All in all, so much fun and I'm so happy for them both.

I'm also so happy that Wedding Season has come to a close. It was great while it lasted but I'm ready for a nap.

8 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

I knew a guy who once went to 11 weddings in one summer. At first I was impressed with his popularity, but now I just sort of feel sorry for him... weddings are better in small doses.

4:02 p.m., August 14, 2006  
Blogger Mike H said...

11 Weddings?
Either he is now a professional guest and can plan weddings better than most, or he's totally jaded to the whole idea of weddings and wants everybody who's getting married to go soak they're fat heads.

I would prefer to only attend 2 weddings a year. That would suit me and my dancing skills just fine.

5:31 p.m., August 14, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

Is wedding season ever over? We got married in Sept (in fact our 8 yr is coming up) and it was nice to not have to compete so much for all the good wedding stuff (which are totally booked up in the summer).

Anyway, you all looked hot (seriously good looking group) this past weekend and I'm glad you had a great time!

11:17 p.m., August 14, 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm tired and I only went to three. But one was my brothers and it was too hot and two of them I danced a bit too much and felt super tired. It's harder when you have a 20lb bulbous flab hanging off the front of you. Seriously.

4:30 p.m., August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linds you are such a great story teller! I love to hear about all the zany scheems and exciting adventures told only in a way Lindsey can.

I miss you lots!

10:45 a.m., August 18, 2006  
Blogger Dana said...

I have now gone to 3 of the 8 weddings I was invited to. I think that was enough. But I am missing the weddings of some very close friends and that makes me sad.
My sister had a summer with 14 weddings. She's my hero. She also now hates weddings and is planning on getting hitched on a beach somewhere far far away. I can't wait.

7:54 p.m., August 18, 2006  
Blogger Magnificent M said...

I have to agree with you Heather, weddings are better in small doses. I am not a fan of weddings... I like them in principle but they can be rather torturous at times. BUT I have to say they are the best places to dance! My best friend Stella and I LOOOOVVE a wedding with DJ where we can dance the night away. I made a complete "fool" of myself at the wedding of Mr and Mrs. Searle and apparently half of the congregation of Burnett thought I was drunk because Stella and I were having way too much fun on the dance floor. Sorry peeps, that is just me having fun with my crazy, wondeful bud. For the record, I was not intoxicated and yes I really do like to dance to Michael Jackson and Disco music that much!

Sara, its not bulbous flab, its beautiful baby!

10:07 p.m., August 19, 2006  
Blogger Amanda said...

Lindsey, you totally rocked the hot at the reception! oh, and the hall looked awesome as well. :)

Thank you so much for your hard work, seriously. You made everything look beautiful. :)

11:36 a.m., August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home