Sunday, May 28, 2006

Since before you were born

Last night we checked out the band Laureate at EA because a couple of Heather's friends play in it and they have a song called God and Dr. Seuss and we like to support that. Craig Harris played first and any man that can make Michael Jackson sound like that is pure musical genius and ok by me. And his own stuff is pretty great too.

Now, I think I rememer the fiasco happening during Craig's set. We're sitting on some couches, enjoying various hot beverages and basking in the glow of the large mugs while catching up on each other's days. Behind us are a gaggle of emo kids sitting on their couches and doing emo-esque things...probably crying or something. Hey, I used to love the emo and then it got all weird. If I have to wear pants that tight and dye my hair black to listen to your music, I'm out. And does anyone know the proper term for a gathering of emo kids? Gaggle just seemed appropriate. I digress.

At some point I felt something hit my hair and when I turned around to see what it was (it should have landed by my shoulder) nothing was there. And the emo kids were all turning to take a look too. Then, as I swung my head from side to side, I could feel something in my hair. I'm frantically asking Heather "What is in my hair?", my voice peppered not so much with panic as it was with vexation. It was then she uttered it. She said..."gum". This caused me, in my vexation, to turn around to the emo kids and shout angrily "Which one of you a**es put gum in my hair!!!" Meanwhile, dear Heather keeps having to repeat "Linds, turn around. Linds, turn around so I can get it out." So as I stew Heather removes the offending wad out of my already short locks (these things are extra frightening when you're a girl with semi-short hair). Mike then asks "What's going on?" to which I reply "One of these a**es threw gum in my hair!" Then Mike uses a voice that none of us have been privy to before (he later informed me that it's his power voice) to turn to the emo kids and say "Which one of you is throwing gum?!!" Shortly after a young emo girl comes over and says hurridly "I threw the gum, I didn't mean to hit you, I'm sorry". I say thank you and it's mostly done.

Later I remarked to Heather that it's been about forever since I had gum stuck in my hair...maybe back when I was 6 or 7 years old. She then she brought up the point that, in any case, the last time I got gum stuck in my hair was before any of them were ever born. We chuckled heartily about that one. For any of you out there who may find yourself in a like-situation, Mike advises that oil gets gum out of hair very well. When I was a kid, we believed in something about toothpaste or ice-cubes. I can't remember. It's been awhile. So here I sit finishing this post 3 days later, happy that I didn't have to inflict any nonsense on my hair. Chew responsibly kids!

12 Comments:

Blogger Mike H said...

Oil is a pretty broad term. I was talking about vegetable oil or butter, not 10w30.

As for the Power Voice, it only scares little kids and apparently emo kids into submission. They hear it and know that I mean business.
It's all I've got to make people listen to me, because I'm so emo pinner.

6:36 p.m., May 30, 2006  
Blogger heather said...

mike darlin, that's a good try, but i'm pretty sure emo kids don't wear baseball caps, especially hockey ones.

i would venture to say that i made a good try at getting the gum out without lindsey ever having to know what it was, but she kept flipping her head around and saying "what's in my hear, what's in my hear" as I was repeating "stop moving your head!" multiple times.

good times.

1:23 a.m., May 31, 2006  
Blogger Lindsey and Mike said...

1. If you're emo, I'm a boxer. And the voice was enough to make me wonder what the heck was about to happen.

2. Ummm, I'm pretty sure that something cannot be "in" one's "hear" per se. But thanks for getting the gum out of my hair:)

7:17 a.m., May 31, 2006  
Blogger Mike H said...

I'm not saying I'm emo, I'm just saying I'm skinny like most emo kids are.

It's as if they don't eat on purpose so they have something else to be tragic about.

Whereas, I eat as much as I have time for. Which is sometimes a lot, and sometimes a little.

8:58 a.m., May 31, 2006  
Blogger Lindsey and Mike said...

Ok, you can have that. But then I feel that I should retort with the fact that you're probably about 3 feet taller than most emo kids:) They have to be short so they can cry about that too...skinny and short:)

1:15 p.m., May 31, 2006  
Blogger Magnificent M said...

okay what is an emo... yes I'm the out of touch OLD lady who doesn't know the lingo anymore! help me! save me from my ignorance!

and how does anyone accidentally throw gum in someone's hair?! you should have taken that little emo!

9:10 p.m., May 31, 2006  
Blogger Mike H said...

There's are a few, very loose, open to interpretation, definitions of "Emo" on the Urban Dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

There's a YouTube video too, but I don't really feel it's very appropriate.

10:15 p.m., May 31, 2006  
Blogger 4ever29 said...

Wait until you get closer to 30. I look at you guys and can't believe you were born in the 80's but then I realize I'm only 4 years older than you!!! Aging sucks!

1:49 p.m., June 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so out of the loop....

4:13 p.m., June 02, 2006  
Blogger Magnificent M said...

You know what 4ever29, its not so bad. I used to want to stay 29 forever but I've come to embrace my thirties. Its actually *gasp* kind of fun! Honest! you get to laugh at the 20 somethings and say things like "oh you weren't even born when toe socks were cool" and "I can't believe you don't know that song!"

7:27 p.m., June 07, 2006  
Blogger Lindsey and Mike said...

Haha! After all was said and done, I turned to Mike in horror and said "Oh no!!! The tutu's crooked!!!" He didn't see the big deal but then I said "Suzanne will know...straight is her thing...it drives her insane." And now it can all be confirmed. This is hilarious! I've never made a tu tu before, but I'll try anything once:)

7:34 a.m., June 09, 2006  
Blogger Magnificent M said...

okay lindsey... I am going to have to ask you to blog something new! Your answer to my "mand" is

"yes officer"

5:09 p.m., June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home