Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ode to Heather

It's official, she's gone.

Mike and I stopped by to see her new place Tuesday night and that made it all very official. She no longer lives a 5 minute drive from me. We've added another 40 onto that. But we had a celebratory bottle of wine, as we often do to celebrate things. Heather and I use wine to celebrate new cars, Tuesdays, Saturdays, any other day of the week not previously mentioned, Lent being over (we gave up wine last Lent...I'm not sure we'll be doing that again), good meals, life, friends, and now her moving. Her place is huge and it's a nice looking building and well-lit and I'm glad to see that she'll be safe there.

Heather's giftings in music go without mentioning. Some of the people at church are in a bit of a panic, wondering who can play the keys and sing like she can. She, on the other hand, is convinced that people will come out of the woodwork and it will all be fine. I'll especially miss seeing her leading up there every so often. It's such a great feeling, so satisfying, to see your friend in their element. I can't wait to experience her leading Vespers (the weekly worship night at CBC that she will be leading...she finally gets her own band!). Personally, I'm scared for the next time I get asked to sing at church and I don't know the harmony for a song or 2 or all of them and then what? Heather understands that I'm a spaz and she tries as best she can to go with it. And if we get a catwalk again, who will think it's just as funny as I do to take a picture on there with our senior pastor, Charlie's Angel's style. And there's nobody else who can play and sing Stabilo with me and make it sound good (p.s. Heather, let's cut our nails and jam soon, ok?). Really those reasons are all just to say that, in short, I'm missing her.

But here's to more countless bottles of wine, to jamming, to just hanging out. To more inside jokes, more 'scatting' to songs, more air time on our cells, and more kilometers on the cars. To my friend who is talented in music (she's funny too!), who could organize the entire country, is better with kids than she thinks, compassionate, beautiful, motivated, driven, hilarious, and a gorgeous soul. Here's to God walking hand-in-hand with you through this year and leading you beyond.

And just for you Heather, a toast: To new adventures, old friends, and bad girls...Cheers, darling!

10 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

stop it I'm tearing up at school and there are two boys sitting beside me checkin their emails and that's not okay. running makeup does not equal ring by spring, my friend.

Thanks, Linds, I love you too.

11:58 a.m., August 31, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

This was beautiful and so very eloquent. I raise my glass to both of you and to friendships! :-)

1:53 p.m., August 31, 2006  
Blogger 4ever29 said...

I'll drink to anything.

9:15 p.m., August 31, 2006  
Blogger Magnificent M said...

Velvet, I will totally cat walk with you, any time, anywhere. We could have a Zoolander walk off if you would like. I will not however sing Stabilo with you. You will have to save that for Tuesday nights with Heather.

10:35 a.m., September 01, 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

Here's to drinking to bad girls...giggle.

I'm a church secretary, so I'm not supposed to do that. But it sounds fun, I'll give it a shot after baby comes out.

11:30 a.m., September 01, 2006  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hey yeah I'm up for a catwalk anytime, and hey if you need company in the audience of Vespers, I'll be there too! Woot!

12:20 p.m., September 04, 2006  
Blogger Mike H said...

We're making Vespers the place to BE on Tuesday.

If you're not there, you better be dead or in jail. If you're in jail, break out.

5:10 p.m., September 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll definitely drink to this...beautiful words...Linds lately I've been missin hearing your famous "and to bad girls" hahah! I'm also using this post to invite you to a house-warming party fpr Lauren (roxy) and I next Fri nite (sept 15). Come have some wine! Bring your friends. xo

5:41 p.m., September 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous above is Linds-AY ;)

5:43 p.m., September 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

linds I think it is time we hang out and do something fun and crazy as to result in a new post; I am desperate to hear you recall the details from one of our awesome adventures!

12:35 p.m., September 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home