Saturday, October 14, 2006

Don't eat that

Yesterday a child arrived to school in a firetruck and the class got their picture taken infront of it. My morning got started out on the right foot when one child looked behind him to take in the massive splendidness of the large metal beast and said with awe "Wow. That's a whole lotta firetruck!"

The day only got better from there as we had an ice-skating fieldtrip and I love ice-skating. I didn't fall once. I usually don't fall on ice. I think somehow my body remembers bygone days of trial and error on a couple pieces of sharpened metal tippiness and tries it's best to stay upright. The children, on the other hand, looked like fish out of water flopping around. One child informed me that he was the best skater in class. Shortly after I saw him sail across the ice, narrowly missing his face smashing into it. I guess confidence is half the battle.

I lost count of how many times I had to tell children not to eat the ice. What do parents teach their children these days? In his younger days, my Dad was an 'ice cop' and drove the zamboni (my parents actually met ice-skating) so I realize I have gotten a superior ice-education: do not eat the ice, it will make you sick; if you fall, get up quick so you don't get run over; when you fall, make a fist immediately because someone could run over your fingers (my Dad actually witnessed this first-hand back in the day...that guy lost his digits); and, if Dad takes you ice-skating, you're bound to get hot chocolate. But children eating the icerink ice?! A popular line for me yesterday was "Don't eat the ice. There are chemicals in it and they will make you sick." The children all acted very surprised at this information.

So as my public service announcement, I urge you: Do not eat the ice.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gross! I just watched the grey's anatomy episode where the guitar player gets his fingers cut off and mcdreamy sews them back on. That would suck a lot.

Someone invited me to go ice skating last night. I said no. I like my body sans bruises and broken bones, thanks.

you're a whole lotta firetruck

4:36 p.m., October 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love skating!!!
Linds lets go sometime SANS heather!

7:51 p.m., October 14, 2006  
Blogger Lindsey and Mike said...

Heather: I'm a whole lotta firetruck? I hope that was an attempt to call me hot.

Michelle: Strap on those skates!

9:57 a.m., October 15, 2006  
Blogger Mike H said...

Riding on a Zamboni is a goal of mine.

Those commercials that came out last hockey season really spoke to me.

Too bad he doesn't still drive a Zamboni.

6:17 p.m., October 15, 2006  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Thanks for the public safety notice linds. Im so glad someone knows their way around a rink. My sister and brother both worked at the one in pitt meadows teaching skating. I, however, missed the boat on learning to skate. Maybe one day.

12:09 p.m., October 16, 2006  
Blogger "Brennan" said...

This blog has posed several questions in my mind.

First, why would your dad ever stop driving the Zamboni...Thats like man heaven!

Second, how similar is eating rink ice to eating yellow snow? I certainly knew of the dangers from consuming yellow snow, but this rink ice, im curious...is it the same, its not yellow (hopefully) and both are appealing to children.. please clarify!

Sincerely,
Michelles confused freind?

11:48 p.m., October 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad there is someone like you out there educating our kids!

I should send my kids to you. I'm having them put their shoes on now. They'll be wandering around MR looking for you.

deanna

2:39 p.m., October 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home