Thursday, October 26, 2006

A Season Such As This

I love autumn. I love fall. No matter what you call it, this season by any other name would smell just as sweet.

I love the scarlett, crimson, rust, gold, amber, orange, and brown of the leaves. A few autumns ago God taught me-through the changing leaves- how beautiful it is to die to one's self and every subsequent fall has been a reminder of that. I love crunching the leaves under my feet. I started trying to do this back in September but the leaves were still too wet. Now they are just right. I love the way that everything smells, so crisp. Even the rain is okay.

And pumkins! I love pumpkins. I love everything about them: color, shape, carving them, their seeds...I even loved pumpkin as a side dish/vegetable when I ate it in Australia. I love to drive by the local pumpkin patch and see the field pregnant with orange.

I love scarves. Especially a particularly long one I have...it makes me feel like I'm in a Dr. Seuss book. I love that I can wear my favorite mittens again (today is their 2006 premier). My favorite mittens were knit for me for my 19th birthday by my dear friend Karin, who was living on a small island at the time, and had to trade and beg wool. They are made all the more sweeter by the fact that they have a string that attaches them, just like when you were a kid. All the cozy clothes you get to bundle up in go without mentioning.

Walking hand-in-hand is better in the autumn because, unlike summer, your hands don't get sweaty, they just stay warm. Sitting outside? Autumn is natures way of saying, "Here's your chance to move a little closer". Fall also makes hot chocolate and cider and tea taste better. The packages for all those products should read "For optimum results, drink in the fall".

Nothing is going into winter quietly. The leaves steal your glances in their shameless colors and cackle as you walk over them. The brisk smells assult your nose one last time so you remember to take note of them again in spring. Pumpkins are begging for a face-lift. Hot chocolate was made for a season such as this. Natures suggesting you move a little closer. What's not to like?

7 Comments:

Blogger 4ever29 said...

I would have to agree completely on your love for fall. You have summed it all up very nicely.

1:34 p.m., October 26, 2006  
Blogger Mike H said...

Here are some of my thoughts as I read this.

I love Fall... Scarlett? Like the actress? She's a colour now?
She spells "pumkins" cute.
Ha! A pregnant orange.
Your hands are perfect for holding.

Also, I agree with doubledouble.

4:58 p.m., October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a blog written by someone in love. i'm happy for you, but i also need to tell you that i'm thoroughly grossed out.

i like winter because it matches my cold heart.

6:28 p.m., October 26, 2006  
Blogger Michelle said...

I agree with doubledouble, beautifully said!

You and Cupcake man holding hands?!! Who knew?!

11:04 p.m., October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm a friend of one of your friends...friends (I think). In other words, we're hardly connected, I suspect we've never met. She happened to read your "A season such as this" post and immediately sent it to me because she knows my heart longs for fall during every other season. Nicely worded. (Package should totally read "For optimum results...")

:)

10:30 a.m., October 31, 2006  
Blogger Cathy-Jo said...

As great as your post was to read...I think I'm enjoying the comments more!! I laughed right out loud reading Heathers comment. I'm with you sista!

On another note...I think it's high time I get to see you! I know it's mostly my fault, being MIA for the past 5 months, but let's fix that. I'll call you soon! Love you!

12:30 a.m., November 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are 'hardly' connected through your friend Becky (not sure of last name though I have met her once or twice) because she's friends with the one of my favorite people, Jen Janzen, who used to be Jen Ross...who has a sister named Heather...I don't know if any of this information is relevant, but regardless that is how we don't know each other at all. :) Good to meet you though!

9:46 a.m., November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home