Saturday, March 24, 2007

Content

Sometimes greatness is found in a children's book. There have been a couple in my journey thus far that have taught me truth about life and God that I couldn't shake, even if I wanted to. After re-reading The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch as a grown-up I had to run out and buy them. But that's for another time.

There's a book I remember reading when I was knee-high to a grasshoper. It had been passed onto my sister and I from my Dad's childhood. We also, quite literally, had classics such as the Dick and Jane books. That's not an urban legend friends, that's childhood.

But this book had a red-orange hardcover cloth binding with an illustration of a cute kitten on the cover. It was called The Contented Little Pussy Cat by Frances Ruth Keller (New York: Platt & Munk, 1949). It was a story about a kitten named Abner who is always happy and the other animals all want to know why.

I find myself identifying with Abner lately. Not that all you other animals have been asking why or that I always appear to be happy and content (I really have to work on my poker face...some of you know my tell, even when I'm smiling). No, it's because at the end of the day, I am content. I know I have far less than some of you out there. We could all find something to throw extra money at. Sometimes my body doesn't work the way I hope it will. I am human and live in the same flawed flesh as everyone else, I get frustrated, and I get tired. But in the end, I am content. I am rich and have been blessed in more ways then I could imagine. My prayers at night are filled with gratitude and praise for all that God has orchestrated. I choose to believe that He he will continue to have good things in store for me. I realize there will be trials to grow me and just because we are fallen people. But I have my God who is faithful, my family who are a soft place to fall, my friends who make my world a more amazing place, and Mike who holds my hand through it all.

And, right now, today I choose contentment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike H said...

I know your tell. But I'll never tell anyone but you about it.
;)

5:33 p.m., March 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home