Thursday, April 12, 2007

Island in the Sun

Here's the account of the weekend on the island for Natalie and Kurtis' wedding. It's late, but it's long:)

March 30th, as soon as I was off of work, Mike and I loaded Zander (my trusty Sportage) up, ran a few errands and headed for the ferry. We had reserved a sailing for the 8pm ferry and boarded the Queen of Cowichan shortly after. The ferry ride was pretty uneventful. Upon docking in Nanaimo, we headed up the Island Highway towards Cowichan Bay where we were staying at The Ocean Front Grand Resort. We arrived at The Grand at nearly midnight and "Lurch" checked us in. The suite was the biggest I had ever stayed in...2 queen beds and a TV with a sliding glass door, bathroom, kitchen (fridge and stove), dining area, and a sitting room with another sliding glass door. And facing the ocean.

The next morning we headed to the local White Spot for some breakfast and I look over to see the groom, Kurtis, having some pre-wedding sustenance with, what I assume are, his guys. See, I had yet to met my friend Natalie's fiancee, Kurtis, but they pasted a picture of themselves on their wedding invite. I told Mike that I wanted to say something. At first he thought I shouldn't "freak the guy out on his wedding day"...he came around. So as the guys were leaving, I called out "Kurtis!". He looks over with a "yes...". I informed him that "You don't know me but I recognized you from your wedding invite. I'm one of Nat's friend's, Lindsey, and this is my boyfriend Mike. Guess we'll see you in a couple of hours!" I felt like I had just told a really good joke.

The whole ceremony was beautiful. Natalie and Kurtis just seemed "right" together. It's a good feeling to have when you don't know the man your friend is marrying. Before the ceremony, Mike and I had noticed a banner hanging on the wall...we call it "Revelation Jesus". More to come on that later. After the ceremony, we headed to Chemainus because I was, once again, trying to take Mike to The Twisted Sisters Tea House (tried in the summer, it was closed). We went and had high tea and it was amazing. As soon as Mike bit into his warm scone with raspberry preserves and heavy cream, he couldn't even wait to finish what was in his mouth before he exclaimed "Oh my gosh! This is so good!". I replied with "I know! This is why we had to come here!". We came home with 3 of their many loose leaf teas. We'll be making repeat visits.

The reception was very efficient. They were introduced as they walked in and headed right for the dance floor for their first dance, after which we were informed that they had always wanted to have dessert before dinner so they cut the cake. The food line moved with great precision and speed. It really was a marvel. We sat at a good table with some friends I hadn't seen for awhile and that Mike had seen...well, never:) Before the reception Mike said I should take a picture of "Revelation Jesus" because we know there are people who would want to see it. I wasn't sure of how to go about it so Mike suggested that I pretend to take a picture of the head table. Worked like a charm. Later on there was a bit of dancing and then we headed back to the hotel.

Some tarts checked us out of the hotel on Sunday morning and we were on our way. We had a 7pm reserved sailing because we had plans to grab dinner at a fabulous restaurant we know in Nanaimo so we just kicked around all day. We went to a couple malls, a Starbucks, and it snowed. We had dinner at The Phonecia. If you're ever in the area, eat there. It's hella yummy.

We ran into the maid of honor, our friend, on the ferry ride home, the illustrious Cathy Jo. Her and another one of the bride's friends, Jen, entertained us for the last leg of our journey.

It was a great trip. And, again, now we can't wait to go back to the island.

1 Comments:

Blogger Magnificent M said...

sounds like a great weekend! I am looking forward to seeing revelation jesus!!! Sorry to hear about the mug, they had some pretty mugs on sale at starbucks before easter.

8:13 a.m., April 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home